Frequently Asked Questions
What is The Northwest Neighbors Village?
The Northwest Neighbors Village is a volunteer-driven "village" that provides services and support to assist seniors in Chevy Chase, AU Park, Forest Hills and Tenleytown as they age in place in their own homes while it is safe to do so. Our "village" is not a physical location but is a circle of neighbors helping neighbors, easing some of the challenges of aging in place.
Why should I join NNV?
· You want to continue to live in your home in Northwest DC.
· You cannot predict when you may need immediate help.
· Calling NNV when you need something may be easier and more reliable than asking for a favor from a neighbor.
· Having services screened by NNV is easier than asking recommendations.
· NNV will call after you have used a service to find out if it was acceptable.
· NNV will help redress the situation if your expectations are not met.
· Being involved in neighborhood activities makes it easier to see old friends and make new friends with similar interests.
· NNV can help you remain connected to your neighbors so that you do not become isolated in your own home.
What will I get for my annual membership fee?
Fees are for access to services and social or cultural events. With one call a coordinator will:
· Take your call and go over your request,
· Find a volunteer or professional to fill your request,
· Tell you when to expect the volunteer or provider (for whom there may be a charge)
· Call afterwards to ask if the service was satisfactory, and if not, try to resolve the problem.
All volunteers have background checks and are trained and directed by NNV. Most professionals will have been used and approved by other members; all are screened by the Executive Director. Member fees also cover social, and some cultural, events.
Why join when one is in good health and able to cope?
No one knows when they will need help, whether from a fall or illness. Northwest Neighbors Village provides the assurance of support and referrals when the unexpected happens, a comfort to us and to our families. NNV is also a source of new friends and social activity that can enrich our lives.
I live in a condominium or apartment with handyman and concierge services. Why would I join NNV?
NNV could drive you to medical appointments, take you shopping, and care for pets, etc., when you are away. NNV could introduce you to members who enjoy similar things – books, cards, movies, music, etc.